Foreigners with professional or academic skills can become permanent residents in Australia if they can get a Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190). Interested applicants can apply for this visa through Australia’s SkillSelect migration program. SkillSelect is an online platform that allows applicants migrants to submit an online Expression of Interest (EOI).
The EOI contains information about their professional and academic skills, which will be assessed through a points test (resulting in a competitive points score). Once an EOI is lodged, the EOI will be evaluated on a competitive basis and if the profile is sufficiently skilled, then the applicant will be nominated by the Australian government to apply for this visa.
This is one of the most competitive visa’s in Australia but also one of the most valuable visa’s as it allows successful applicants to live in Australia permanently, work in almost any professional area, and sponsor family members to move to Australia.
For information about other visa options that create pathways to permanent residency for foreigners, visit the SkillSelect section of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.
Requirement for Skilled Nominated Visa
|Invitation to Apply:||Applicants must submit an EOI through SkillSelect and be invited to apply for a visa.|
|Nomination:||Applicants must have been nominated by an Australian state or territorial government. The nomination can only happen after the you have submitted the EOI. The nomination is distinct from the invitation to apply. The nomination is a requirement to getting an invitation to apply.|
|Age:||Applicants must be younger than 45 years of age when you are invited to apply.|
|Skills Assessment:||Applicant must submit a copy of an official “skills assessment” that confirms the specific skills the applicant is claiming to have. The skills assessment must have been completed within the 3 years prior to the invitation to apply. The applicant must have the skills listed in a skilled occupation associated with the Subclass 190 Skilled Occupation List (SOL).|
|English Requirements||Applicants must provide evidence that they have competent English in the form of English language tests.|
|Financial Cost:||The Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 189) application costs start at AUD$4,115. Applicants who are bringing eligible family members to live with them in Australia should note that an additional applicant charge applies.|
|Health Requirement||Applicants may be required undergo a medical examination and meet minimum health requirement.|
|Criminal History||Applicant must be able to prove that they are of ‘good character’. Applicants are required to sign an Australian values statement and provide police certificates and other relevant documents.|
The application program is very competitive. Even if an applicant is fully qualified and satisfies all the requirements, the application for a permanent residence might not be accepted since only the top candidates are selected from everyone competing. However, some years might be less competitive than other years depending on the number of applicants in that specific year.
The competitive factors that may impact the evaluating a for this visa include: age, education, work experience, if there is a valid job offer, language skills, and cultural adaptability. The competitive evaluation favours higher education, more work experience, economic or family ties to Australia, and a suitable age for starting a life here
Procedure To Obtain Skilled Nominated Visa in Australia:
- Preparation: Before applying, applicants must have all the necessary documentation and have complied with the applicable requirements as listed in this article. Applicants should have all their documents, ID, family documents, proof of English skills, and health records for submission.
- Complete Expression of Interest: The next step before applying is to complete the Expression of Interest. Applicants can do this from inside or outside Australia. It is important that all information be accurate and true. False information can lead to a cancellation of the application and revoke your right to apply in the future. After you have submitted your application, the portal will inform you if anything is missing or needs to be added, such as additional health exams, biometric information, information regarding family, and any corrections to mistakes you made on the application.
- Get Nominated and Invitation to Apply: Once you submit the EOI, your submission will be evaluated. If it is satisfactory, this will still not be sufficient to get an invitation to apply. It is also a requirement to get nominated by a governmental state or territory in Australia. Once you have the nomination and a satisfactory EOI, then applicants will be given an invitation to apply for the visa.
- Application for Visa: Once you have been invited to apply for the visa, you will have 60 days to make a valid visa application. If you don’t submit the application with 60 days of the invitation, then the invitation will expire. The application process is online and costs AUD $3,755 for the main applicant. There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa. Total application time can take 4 months to 2 years.
- Receive Visa: If a visa is granted, then the applicant will receive a visa grant number, the date the visa expires and the visa conditions. These conditions will relate to your obligations as a student and the extent to which an applicant can find lawful employment. One received the visa will be digitally linked to the applicant’s passport.
Disclaimer: This information is provided for informational purposes only and is not legal advice. The information and facts referred to herein may be amended, removed or otherwise changed by the applicable government authority. As such, the information contained herein is provided with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness.